I’m not an expert, by any means, on stand up paddle boarding. But, I believe strongly in enjoying one’s hobbies, and because I recently acquired a Surftech/prAna Alta stand up paddle board and am obsessed with it, I feel it necessary to share what little information I’ve managed to gather about SUPing so far in California and the East Bay Area (Alameda County and beyond).
Sites we’ve paddled Sites we plan to paddle Sites we visited, but did not paddle due to poor conditions Covewater Paddle Surf
Since late June 2020 when we got our SUP boards, I’ve managed to paddle at least once a week. The amount of information freely available online about spots local and specific to the East Bay is actually limited, but I’ve found these resources helpful (updated July 2020):
- Olivier Guincetre at Covewater Paddle Surf in Santa Cruz. We purchased our boards from Covewater, and Olivier has continued to provide us with excellent guidance and support since we got our boards.
- The Bay Area Sea Kayakers Trip Planner is an excellent resource for the bay geared toward kayaks, obviously, but the site has great information about parking, fees, distances to the water, weather, etc. that is very applicable to SUPs.
- I glean what I can from SUP California’s Instagram, which sent me toward lakes in the Foothills and the Sierras.
- Paddling California’s Flat Water (Janice L. Green, 2020).
- California Guide to Coastal Camping and Surf Spots (KC Brim, 2018).